07 September, 2005

The day I almost died (and sorta fell in love too)

So I must've been about 10 years old. The routine was always this - every afternoon, I'd meet M and eS and we'd go cycling around eS' compound.

M was my best friend back then, tall (well at least by my 10 year old standards) had long, straight, black hair and was a pretty cool gal (by my 10 year old standards). She also had the coolest sticker collection. I used to go over to her place and the two of us would sit inside her roomy cupboard (well it was roomy back then) and eat cocoa pops in the dark. And talk about the New Kids On The Block. Never mind if I didn't know didley about them. She liked them and therefore so did I.

Ok, ok that's not the point.

eS was a skinny boy with sleepy eyes and a lovely smile. I didn't know it back then, but I probably harboured a humungous crush on the kid simply coz everything he did, pissed me off. (Come on..that's ALWAYS a sign that you're crushing on someone. Admit it!) He stole my ruler once and even then I let him keep it. I remember sitting next to him during an exam and our elbows bumping into one another coz I was a lefty and he was a righty. I don't remember much about what we did together, but I do remember how much I loved getting annoyed by him. (He later admitted to me that I was the first girl, back then, whose number he wrote down in his little black phone book. Chuffed! =D )

So we went cycling one afternoon. And everything was fine and dandy until eS, being the monkey that he was, decided to crash his bicycle into mine.
On Purpose.

So there I was, flying over the handlebars and thinking "I'm going to MURDER eS when this is over."
I landed on my left elbow (rather painfully, as you might have guessed), and started blacking out. M and eS rushed over to my side. M started crying (yea..not cool.) and eS ran over, scared to bits. Him and M tried to pull me up, but even in my 'blacking-out' state, I was pissed off enough to yell "eS..Don't touch me!"
I remember him saying "Don't die! Don't die!!"
(I thought it was kinda cute too actually hehe)

I blacked out, and woke up in eS's parents bedroom. I remember him peeking in (probably to check if I was still alive) and me glaring at him with annoyance.
I didn't talk to him for weeks after that.



It's weird how life turns out sometimes.

'Remembering a certain someone who got me hooked onto Incubus (and him). Remembering him telling me "We love each other. Like how one child loves another." Knowing that sometimes it'll be like it was, but mostly it won't. '

Yup that's eS. Now all grown up, eloquent, intelligent, a bit of an asshole, crazy, dirty-minded, still annoying, still sleepy-eyed, still has a lovely smile, still has a way with words and still makes me smile even when I'm annoyed with him.

I love many people, but very few hold that very very special place in my heart. He's one of them.
I don't know if we'll ever lose touch, or if he'll forget me one day or if due to some fight we absolutely stop talking.
But I do know, I'll never meet someone like him, ever.
More importantly, I know I'll never forget him (mostly because of the scar of my left elbow.)


[eS, if you're reading this, you know I can't stay mad at you. Love you. =) ]

27 Comments:

Blogger Arun did the happy dance and finally said..

Beautiful post Mahima! Almost reminded me of my childhood when I banged my bicycle into this girl's - whom I had a crush on. The only difference is, I was just learning how to ride.

Great stuff here. Keep writing.

~ Arun

1:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous did the happy dance and finally said..

You knw Mahi dear...there are a few blogs that i visit on a regular basis but none of them make me revisit it multiple times a day, just to read the comments and everything like urs does...ur blog is the only blog that i have left comments on so often...the reason is cos of posts like this, u have made me smile, laugh and just think of the good ol' days (considering that im only 25 in nov, thats sumtin!) or even made me almost cry once...

As much as i would love to leave a witty(IMHO) comment...sumtimes I just hav to say wats on my mind and heart...

PS: out of curiosity, do write poems?

3:56 AM  
Blogger Alternate Vision did the happy dance and finally said..

I think you are probably the first lefty I ever met. Not sure how I remember this but I do.

5:10 AM  
Blogger Alternate Vision did the happy dance and finally said..

correction, first lefty that I can remember meeting. Think it was in Mrs. Badamai's class.

5:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous did the happy dance and finally said..

=)
love you too
thank you
sweetest birthday present (however belated!) ever...
eS

5:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous did the happy dance and finally said..

this whole love/hate the ex thing, while entertaining to the average blogging janata, can't be healthy for the two of you..looks like you still harbour feelings?

ps..sleepy eyes, while appealing to the feminine gender, is a serious handicap in the workplace, my boss always thinks i am slightly hung over..even stopped to give me a lecture on the evils of a bohemian lifestyle..

10:12 AM  
Blogger AJ did the happy dance and finally said..

sweet post! the kind that makes you return to the age of innocences & remember things that happened, that weren't so innocent. I'm SO going to copy you and write a post about a scar I have on my left elbow. Now I can only chose one...

10:58 AM  
Blogger Madame Mahima did the happy dance and finally said..

arun - thank you so much and welcome! you know, chances are the girl still remembers you ;) just like u planned eh? haha

rajesh -aww man thats really nice of you ! =)and you go ahead and say what u need to..no worries here..
poems eh? not so much..i dont mind reading them, but writing as such not really..

surya - thanks =D (i think!) yyou know i remember you coming to class in Grade 1 (1B) and i think you sat next to me. this was the year we learnt how to add and subtract. hahaha talk about going off tangent!

eS - welcome =) *hug

tragic - we never went out dear =) and we're probably better for that. this (unlike the letter unsent) wasn't some angsty thing..i just wanted to write about him..its that simple? =) and about harbouring feelings..we both love one another and we know it, no drama there! haha

11:12 AM  
Blogger Madame Mahima did the happy dance and finally said..

androjane - allo allo! i love writing about the past because of the sheer innocence of that age..i mean contrast it with what we have now, and wow..look at how we've all changed (or not in some cases haha)
go ahead matey! go forth and write about your scar...go, i commaaaand theee!

11:15 AM  
Blogger Arun did the happy dance and finally said..

I am sure she remembers me. But I swear, i didn't do it on purpose. Yeah! Now I know what you're thinking... "Ah! They always say that!"

~ A

6:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown did the happy dance and finally said..

You little sneak... is he reading this?

And if anyone asks I am in love with Hugh Jackman..(in case he is reading this.)

Speaking of scars..it seems to me that you and I both owe many scars and disfigurations to MEN. Damn them. My dad pushed me off the trolley in the airport and that's how I got my nine stitches. (and he refused to take blame for it)

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous did the happy dance and finally said..

let me get this straight..you never went out.the love was perfectly platonic..?
and the letter unsent was to someone else ? the plot thickens..
this is more interesting than one tree hill.

7:24 PM  
Blogger Arjun did the happy dance and finally said..

Your post makes me wonder when I'll actually bump my bicylce into this Miss Perfect!
Considering I don't have a bicycle, think it's highly improbable. *sigh*

11:00 PM  
Blogger Madame Mahima did the happy dance and finally said..

arun - of course i dont believe you! that's what eS said too..but we all know the truth about you men.:P

jups- i know!what is it with men and showing us they love us so much that have to physically injure us?!i dont get it.
btw ..i love hugh too.ok not love.im in lust with him. deeeeep lust. heh heh

tragic - *patiently* yess tragic, letter unsent was to someone else (thats sorted btw) and no,we never went out and the love isnt purely platonic. sometimes you don't always get what you want, innit? i don't know about everyone else, but i've never had qualms about the fact that i love different people with varying degrees of 'love'. it sounds messy but it's really not. denial is messy.
you know, if my life was a movie, i would SO pay money to watch it!

couchie - aww couchie dont worry! there will come a day when you shall get on a cycle, and go forth and crash into the person u were meant to crash into. and the two of you will be incredibly happy =) just make sure u 1)know how to cycle and 2)u don't tell her what i just typed coz my words suddenly look ree-e-eally dirty. heh heh

1:17 AM  
Blogger Webmiztris did the happy dance and finally said..

awwww, how sweet! also, I used to be obsessed with new kids on the block. I'm so ashamed.

6:27 AM  
Blogger APOO did the happy dance and finally said..

Hmmm... just sold my car. Will buy a cycle soon!

10:06 AM  
Blogger Madame Mahima did the happy dance and finally said..

dawn - haha we need to hide in someones cupboard,munch on cocoa pops and wallow in our SHAME! oh the shaaaame!

apoo - oh god. what have i done..i've created a monster. women out there, beware of apoo-on-a-cycle.

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous did the happy dance and finally said..

is it why they say love hurts...

i guess they should change it to "cycling hurts"

what say madame?

1:31 PM  
Blogger The Box did the happy dance and finally said..

Oh babe, you got it baaaaaaaaaad.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Madame Mahima did the happy dance and finally said..

rumpy - nawww this doesn't hurt..this is a good thing =) (it really is!) but yes...cycling does hurt. its terrible. guys, give a girl a flower..don't crash into her with your cycle. u won't get brownie points (or in my case..maybe you will =S)

box - shut yo mouth boy! :P its all good yo'! *uh uh westside*

3:39 PM  
Blogger Sangeeta did the happy dance and finally said..

Such a sweet story :)

1:57 PM  
Blogger IdeaSmith did the happy dance and finally said..

Lovely post girl...sweet and sentimental without getting soppy. Some people are more than friends or lovers...they're just special.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Madame Mahima did the happy dance and finally said..

metria - thank you =)

smithy - you summed it up wonderfully! thats the definition i was looking for, i guess =D

9:01 PM  
Blogger That Girl did the happy dance and finally said..

that brought back so many memories...*hugs*....


i hated this one guy in my violin class so much....for 4 years i coudlnt stand him....

then he saved me from almost being killed by a truck...that was when i was 15,

saw him 5 years later...back in Madras...

i had gone to say hello to my violin teacher and he was there...all grown up and looking incredibly handsome...we smiled and that was it. :)....sigh

6:23 PM  
Blogger Bhavesh did the happy dance and finally said..

hahaha.. dat was soo funny.. my first time here and i get such an intersting post to read.. blogg rolling u.. will read all your posts at peace..!! am still laughing!!

3:20 PM  
Blogger KJ did the happy dance and finally said..

dropping a ____ via appoo's blog. sweet and sentimental post, reminded me abt the innocence of childhood, those good ol' days.

wonderful blog. will visit again.

have a nice day.:-)

3:36 PM  
Blogger Madame Mahima did the happy dance and finally said..

grafx - awww..well u know what they say..if u cant stand each other at first, chances are that in time, your feelings will move to the opposite end of the spectrum ;)
(Oh wait..i said that haha) next time smile and say HI ;)

just me - thank u dahlink! welcome!

kj - pleased to meet u! thanks very much =)

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
Google