16 June, 2007

You know you're of Marriageable Age when...

- ...your mom (or my mom) starts insisting that you start keeping your own cookbook because you need to practice for some 'serious cooking'. Apple Pie, Mother, is PRETTY serious cooking in my world.
Yes. I now have my own cookbook in which I write recipes dictated by my Mom when she is cooking said recipe.
I opened a drawer and there were loads of notebooks all waiting to be written in (don't ask me why, but I really like collecting notebooks and diaries).
I chose the one that used to be my old diary (I wrote about 6 entries before I grew...you guessed it - Lazy.) So anyway I decided to read a couple of entries. Back when my brother was a menace, I used to purposely write my angst-filled rantings in tiiiiiny font. Really tiny- hoping that this would be a deterrant to all future pesky diary readers. Well it still works. I stopped reading the minute I saw how tiny the words were (This could also be cross-referenced in another blog post - You know you're getting Old when...)

-... your mom starts talking about how she knows the BEST places to shop for your wedding outfit and trousseau.

-...your Doctor thinks you've fallen ill because you are stressing about a Boy and starts telling you how a girl is allowed to have the upper hand in a marriage. I can safely say (for now) that a Boy is the least of my worries....sort of.

-... older women get glassy eyed when they look at you. Like their minds are working at breakneck speeds to find a Suitable Boy for the Girl in front of them. They start to ask CV-like questions 'What have you studied?', 'What's your height? 5'9? Oh no, too tall..but don't worry I'm sure we'll find you someone..'(Yea. Thanks.) They also start to coo about how said Girl is 'glowing'..... :S Yea. Don't ask.

-... you start getting worried about putting up those extra photo frames on the wall, coz let's face it - it's going to be a pain to take down allllll those frames when you have to leave for your own house. (Yep, this is how lazy people decide what goes up and what stays in a box)

-... people start telling you to lose a few more kilos so you can look stunning in your wedding outfit. Okay, between you and me, what's the point of killing yourself trying to fit into the outfit, when you're just going to put back all that weight (and then some) after the wedding?

-... you start to seriously calculate for how long you want to enjoy marriagehood until u start on the parenthood leg of the journey. Aiyaiyaiyaaaaiii.

-... you get all glassy-eyed and smiley-faced watching your friend try on her engagement outfit and picking out her jewelery, while you think "Wow..I can't wait for my turn.." and it seems like an inevitable reality as compared to a 16 year old's wishful thinking.


What else have I missed out in the list??

Labels: , ,

24 Comments:

Blogger Mint Chutney did the happy dance and finally said..

You can't skip from "What is love?" to "Mom is shopping for my wedding in her head"

Details baby details!

3:59 AM  
Blogger annie did the happy dance and finally said..

Lol....absolutely fab ones!!

5:15 AM  
Blogger Madame Mahima did the happy dance and finally said..

minty - lol nono its not what you think! but my mom totally IS shopping for my wedding in her head..shes been doing it since the past couple of years..talk about jumping the gun man.

annie - :D thank u!

12:06 PM  
Blogger Miss M did the happy dance and finally said..

Yes mahi, we want details!
Whats been going on haan? Tch tch.. come onnn.. dont hide it from us! haha :P:P

Anyways, my moms friends have already started calling my mom up and asking her whether she has started looking for a groom for me. And i KNOW for a fact that my mom has already bought me jewellery for my wedding! Scary and exciting at the same time!! =D

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous did the happy dance and finally said..

Another sign... parents come to you and suggest you go to India for "a holiday" And they smile.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Spider42 did the happy dance and finally said..

well, i can honestly say i feel bad for you or anyone in said position!
and given that ive seen it with cousins and the like, admitedlly its a good deal worse on the girls then on us guys...
personally i have no issues with the marraige concept, its the societal pressures and all the "tradition" and form filling crap and nonsense that turns me off from it all...
which is actually why im thankful that i have parents who when i said so agreed and said, "elope and then we'll have one reception party to make everyone happy and thats it!"
cheers...

8:52 PM  
Blogger DewdropDream did the happy dance and finally said..

You know you're of marriageable age when you start worrying about having babies :) and of course, the entire gamut of moving from home, having to find a new job and not commute much, adjust to all the in-laws... I hear some people fantasise about the relationship they'd have with their mums-in-law :P

All said though... marriage or not, maintaining a cookbook is a good suggestion... what if you had to live alone and had to call mum every night to ask for a recipe (I know mine always asked 'who're you cooking for?' and 'why do you keep bothering me? Just wait till you come back and I'll make those barfis') whew!

Thankfully I haven't yet faced any wedding-planner gazes yet, but I can't help mooning over bridal gowns.. sigh. It's only so much about marriage anyway, it's more about being a lady :)

11:01 PM  
Blogger Miss M did the happy dance and finally said..

Dewdrop,

You are practically married anyways! :P

11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous did the happy dance and finally said..

so does mahima want to get married or not?

12:08 AM  
Blogger DewdropDream did the happy dance and finally said..

LOL... shush Medha... next thing we know I'll be inundated with requests for marriage and wedding tips :P and the world will be thrown into chaos... :P

But who's to say a bit of practice never helped you??? I recommend the trial version :D

1:18 AM  
Blogger kal did the happy dance and finally said..

lol... lovely post, eM. go on. get married to somebody other me. be like that. see if i care. see if i come and huff and puff and knock your house down, stew your husband and make off with you as my own...

(ahem)... on an entirely different note (and post):
i'm currently in kuwait, and just read your post about vegetarians...
here, vegetarian food is more (like 2-3 times more) expensive than staple non-veg food. i guess they have a logic to it - that vegetarians HAVE to eat veg food, so might as well make 'em pay a price for it. =D ah the lovely intricate dynamics of demand and supply...

6:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous did the happy dance and finally said..

all women are ready for marriage, some are just not aware of it.

quotes:
-A great marriage is not when the 'perfect couple' come together. It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

-“To be happy with a man you must understand him a lot and love him a little. To be happy with a woman you must love her a lot and not try to understand her at all.”

9:34 AM  
Blogger Madame Mahima did the happy dance and finally said..

medha - lol nothing to hide! scary and exciting for sure :D

anon - LOL! u know that actually happened to a friend of mine..the poor guy never saw it coming

the dude - dude..ure parents are hoping you elope so they can just throw one reception party..they're not being nice, theyre being cheap!! haha i kid i kid..but yea ure right..i think the pressure is more for girls

dewdrop - which people are these??yea u know..they very thought of having to move your entire life is terribly unsettling (heheh pun fully intended)
oh wedding gowns are lovely arent they..

faith - *drumroll*.....yes! :D

suddy - :O wow such tough love! and what on earth are you doing in kuwait? weren't u at hyderabad? why am i not in the loop for such things? i feel slightly cheated.
yea i always hated economics :@

dev - ooo that one line ('all women...') could get u into a lottttt of trouble if ure not careful ;)
i like the quotes..why on earth have u been googling marriage quotes :S

10:29 AM  
Blogger Renovatio did the happy dance and finally said..

Take full advantage, cooking rocks, and if you don't know how, pick up as much of it as you can. It's a great destresser.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Abhinav Sharma did the happy dance and finally said..

so many of my friends are getting married and as soon as my mom hears about that, first comment is when you are getting married?
i am 25 and i have 5 more years of bachelorhood in front of me! girls say the same thing 5 yrs earlier than me!

~tetracyclops

1:24 PM  
Blogger Madame Mahima did the happy dance and finally said..

renovatio - yea i love cooking actually..ive just never tried my hand at a proper indian meal, it always seemed like so much went into its preparation and well..we all know how lazy i am :P but yep..im learning!

tetra - aaah such is the difference between the sexes :) make sure ure mum and ure friend dont meet (or talk) until they do..ure safe!

10:10 AM  
Blogger chitgo did the happy dance and finally said..

Aaaaah! i haven't been here for awhile:)
and there's a spunky 'mahimaesque' waiting for me:)....

Believe it or not, I've been thinking of the whole mariage-period vis-a-vis parenthood timeline. What for? I have no friggin clue....even men get psyched out by this from time to time!

12:13 PM  
Blogger Aditya Abburi did the happy dance and finally said..

I've had some of my friends tell me I should get married because I cook good Indian food.... not because they think I am nice or handsome or intelligent but only because they think I cook well (shakes his head)

not a very good sign!!

6:13 AM  
Blogger SonnyBoy did the happy dance and finally said..

so u reckon u ready for marriage anytime soon?

11:12 AM  
Blogger Maddy did the happy dance and finally said..

LOL! That's a great post, have to agree with all the points you mentioned..

11:20 AM  
Blogger Amandeep Singh did the happy dance and finally said..

Doesnt all this feel kinda scary? lol

5:38 PM  
Blogger DewdropDream did the happy dance and finally said..

Mahi UPDATE!!!!!

11:03 PM  
Blogger Miss M did the happy dance and finally said..

UPDATEE!!!!!!!

10:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous did the happy dance and finally said..

"Killing to get into the wedding dress..." what's the point when it's going to be ripped off in a few hours by a salivating, hormone-crazed beast? ;-)

3:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
Google