02 March, 2006

Digging through that old photo album of Memories (of Bad Hair Days and More)

So I started digging around in my old photo albums coz I got into a nostalgic mood (and that happens often) and it was very bittersweet (the mostly bitter part was my god awful hairstyle back then...you'll see..)

Now Ever Dearest Reader..it is not often you see Mahi looking unglam and fugly..but I'm hoping you'll look beyond the fugliness and see the innocence and the happiness (and gush about how cute I was AND still AM.)
Ahem.



Mahi and her Red Ball

















This was at my Grandparents house, I must've been less than a year old.
They still have this ball.
(Pervs out there please don't spoil the moment :P you know what I mean.)



Daddy's Little Girl














I love this pic! It's such a classic.
Also..how was I able to bend like that? Where did all my flexibility disappear off to?



Aunty V and I

















This was perhaps the most bittersweet of them all.
Aunty V was a lovely lady, like a second Mum to me. Four years back she passed away in a terrible accident. I don't remember crying that hard ever in my life, as I did when I heard the news.



I am Gorgeous Dahlink




Artsy-Fartsy Pointing Pose





Heh heh. I may or may not have knocked over that vase.





I call this look 'Blue Steel'.




This was at our first house in Lagos, and Dad wanted to try out his new camera.
It was then I realised "Hey! I'm good at this." Being really really goodlooking I mean.
=P KIDDING.
(I know I just channelled Derek Zoolander)
Anyway turns out the film was spoilt which gave the pics that yellow tinge. But I say it was one of those rare beautiful mistakes (much like me. :P)



At the Zurich Airport











I know. I'm a nutcase.
However I was a hit with the pretty air hostesses (wait, is still politically incorrect to call them that? Is it 'air stewardess' now?)that worked for Swissair.
I still remember going and asking one for a cup of hot chocolate and taking ages to return. When my mom came to look for me, she saw me talking animatedly to about 4 of them, explaining in full detail why my two front teeth were missing (I ran into a wall and they had to be extracted coz they were dying.)



Oh Look! An 80's TV with a Family on the Side.












I couldn't stop laughing when I saw this one.
I mean LOOK AT MY FACE!!
Not only do I have a TERRIBLE haircut but I think I'm also trying to kill my brother! I look like I'm trying my darndest to squeeze his head like an orange.
Let me explain the haircut- Dad always fancied himself to be a bit of an artist. His dream is to open a barbershop. Guess who was the guinea pig in the haircutting experiments?
Thaaat's right.
Needless to say, I changed salons.



There was a Little Girl who had a Little Curl 2 Palmtrees.












I look happy, but I'm not. Those palmtrees were painful to tie. I'm lucky I didn't go bald.
My brother looks terrified and disgusted at the same time. Cool!
Do I really look like my Mom??



The Beach











My cousin K and I were at the 'Bar Beach'.
My parents call this picture the "Lady Di Pic" but I don't really know why.
I wonder what we were talking about.



First Kiss??

















This is my Mum, me and my best buddy at that time- KR.
This could quite possibly be my first kiss (and my last, at the rate I'm going. Hmpf.)
Anyway, it cuts a damn cute picture.



Here's the freaky bit-


















That's me on the left..and that's NOT me on the right.
That's my MOTHER.
I can't believe how alike we looked!
You know what they say...'If you wanna know what a girl will look like when she grows older, just look at her mother.'




I hope you guys enjoyed seeing the pictures, I know I did!
(And my Mum looks gorgeous, in case anyone was wondering.)
=P

Labels: , ,

28 Comments:

Blogger White Magpie did the happy dance and finally said..

Cute...The metamorphosis is amazing I must say ;)

mmm..mebbe ye should change the caption "mahi and her red ball"..That had me in splits...Also the line which says "they still have this ball" :))

Jest joshing!!

2:52 PM  
Blogger That Girl did the happy dance and finally said..

oooooh that was SUCH a wonderful post!! its SO awesome tolook at baby pics and laugh about them and giggle and coo and exclaim out loud ovre what we looked like when we were little... candid shots are so much better~! yeah you look like your mom.. and SO DO I!! ah my gad.. i LAO'd your pics!!HAHAHHAHHHHHAHAH @ the palmtrees~!!

3:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown did the happy dance and finally said..

Awww... The 80s kicked butt man. Bring back the 80s!

Ever notice how everyone was fashionable in the 80s.. I mean the trends really stuck~!

4:37 PM  
Blogger FRZ did the happy dance and finally said..

ahhh,,,thats why u were upset with the scanner last night

and yes ur damn lucky ur not bald

and no, please don't bring the 80s back

5:43 PM  
Blogger Himavan did the happy dance and finally said..

Remembers me of Robert Frost's Birches
"I'd like to get away from earth awhile
And then come back to it and begin over..."

8:55 PM  
Blogger Nayan did the happy dance and finally said..

nice pics :)

9:12 PM  
Blogger surbhi seth did the happy dance and finally said..

Sweetie!!!! Those were beautiful pictures!!! Ah..and I remember u having one palm tree on ure head back in ILS(KG-grade II)!!! But, darling..let me say this...ure the cutest gurl i've ever seen in palm trees!!!:)U know when u told me about my birthday invitation from over a decade ago.. a picture of you with a pony automatically come to mind!

N is that KARTIK RAO??!?!? haha.... I miss that guy...u have any idea how I can get in touch with him?!! I remember one thing...both your mom's looked like sisters!
Okay time for my favorite picture.... yup..u guessed it... DADDY'S LITTLE GIRL!!! n then the lady di pic!;)
cheers:)

9:16 PM  
Blogger Madame Mahima did the happy dance and finally said..

magpie - :P gawd u just completely SPOILT IT!!!!

grafx - i remember those palmtrees and i wince in pain, even now!! hahaha i looove the candid shots the most...i dont allow any candid shots of myself to be taken anymore (left profile always!)

jups - the 80's TOTALLY kicked butt...they kicked so much butt that they should be retired..for GOOD...they should never be allowed to wreck destruction upon this earth again *shudder*

faz - yeh man my scanner is going to the dogs..the quality STINKS! dont worry..the 80's are neatly tucked away into oblivion!
happy birthday!

demi - hehe yea she had lovely long her till her bum! but i guess its hard to maintain

contended - that was lovely! i love going into my deep spells of nostalgia every now and then..it keeps things...real.

thanks nayan!

surbhi - hehjehe thank u! yes i was famous for those damn palm trees..i used to get to pissed off at the uncles who used to tease me abt them!
oh man..'Surbhi's Party. 8th January. 4.30pm-7.30pm'
i saw it last night and i was just HIT by a wave of nostalgia..it was amazing..
and YESSSS that is karthik :D my parents actually visited them last year in bangalore...i had his email but turned out to be wrong so im not in touch with him either :S hehe yea his mom and my mom had the same haircut! (she looks exactly the same even now btw)
psst..daddy's little girl is my fav too!!!!! =D

9:49 PM  
Blogger Miz BoheMia did the happy dance and finally said..

I am a picture freak so I LOVED this post! Give us more!

Very cute, sweet and special!

And the Mahi lady! Delish from the very beginning! Sizzlin'!

10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous did the happy dance and finally said..

Hey Mahi, wonderful post with beautiful pics! Loved it enough to post a comment (not that I don't like your other posts, but I don't really like to make my presence felt!)
n FYI, I am the same anonymous that posted on your birthday, and NOT the one that emailed you.

1:54 AM  
Blogger Madame Mahima did the happy dance and finally said..

thanku yummymummy ;) i always say if theres a fire in my house, i'd run to get my photo albums (after getting kelso of course :P)

mahi - thank u! do visit again =)

anon - haha do comment more often..i love reading them..and yup yup i know who email me =)

6:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous did the happy dance and finally said..

NOW THIS IS THE HAIRCUT U GOTTA GET MAHI...cmon, dont you know mushrooms are back in style??

either that or PALM TREES....hahahah

and why are u trying to "JUICE" your brothers head?? you mean mean sister.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Alternate Vision did the happy dance and finally said..

I have this memory of Karthik Rao from back in the day where he fell over the railing in the KG parlor (kind of fall where u break several bones), but some strict teacher (can't remember who) was around and so the poor dude pretended like nothing happened. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry....

oh and I love the pics..adorable. there is something disctintive about retro snaps that one can describe with words..ok this is my longest comment yet

10:58 AM  
Blogger Jay did the happy dance and finally said..

Yay! I'm STILL the cutest baby in the blogosphere!

4:13 PM  
Blogger Himavan did the happy dance and finally said..

Just realized that you made me "contend" from "content"....lol=)

4:55 PM  
Blogger StagedSeven did the happy dance and finally said..

the first kiss photo is so beautifully taken..it's a real classic.

6:09 PM  
Blogger Madame Mahima did the happy dance and finally said..

dev - like i said before..YOU'RE ONE TO TALK ABOUT HAIRSTYLES!!!! may i remind u of your terrible mop? or that time u cut it wayyyyyy too short and u look a real nut???

surya - lol karthik was sooo clumsy..he'd trip over himself all the time...oh btw..he visited singapore with his family back in 2000 i think and he was quite flirty i must say! he's too cute..i remember me and him sharing noodles back in kg when we were all in the school bus going on an excursion..
comment away! no ones complaining :)

jay - oh AS IF, Queen B.
jeez would it KILL you to admit that i was cuter? denial is a TERRIBLE thing jay.

contenDed - haha sorry

brian - ohhhhh brian. yes. i have been lusting after..er missing you..where'd you go off to?? your disappearance threw me in a tizzy!

staged7 - yea i know :) i love the look on my face!

7:38 PM  
Blogger Dreamcatcher did the happy dance and finally said..

Your mom was soo beautiful. Amazing hair :) and sepia toned pics always look super cute ten years later.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Mint Chutney did the happy dance and finally said..

Your mom is so beautiful.

I LOVE baby pictures.

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous did the happy dance and finally said..

hmm.. this post reminded me of a song.. photograph by nickelback - the connection would be hard to make for some but not me B-)

1:08 AM  
Blogger Madame Mahima did the happy dance and finally said..

dreamcatcher - hehe yea she still IS!

minty - me too! i love looking thru them all and wondering what we were thinking back then =D

renegadefade - oh YEA! ure right! how come i didnt think of that :S i love that song!

2:00 PM  
Blogger APOO did the happy dance and finally said..

How cute!!! My My.....

Something must have really gone wrong in the 1990's.... that u ended up looking like this now!!

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous did the happy dance and finally said..

Well, the kiddy pics are adorable...yup, you were very cute...but i disagree with one thing...You aint cute no more.....





Now you are beautiful ;)....

8:04 PM  
Blogger APOO did the happy dance and finally said..

"Beauty lies in the eyes of the BEER-holder"

Rajesh, when did u switch from coffee man? Seriously... go back to coffee. At least u spoke the truth then! ;-)

8:53 PM  
Blogger The Box did the happy dance and finally said..

They say a lot of our genetic future is in our parents. Lotsa people say I look like my mom. They're lying of course, unless they mean I look Chinese. My mom was pretty damn hot. And all those genes went to my brother.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Madame Mahima did the happy dance and finally said..

rajesh - awww thank u =D

apoo - you talk too too much :@ i need to find a way to block u from commenting hahaahah

box - awww box u sound like me. i always felt my brother got all the good genes in the family.
its ok box...we are beautiful, no matter what they say
*waves hands furiously in front of face* sorry...getting emotional..

2:07 PM  
Blogger jomy did the happy dance and finally said..

hey , i loved ur DADDY's lil gurl pic !!

Chooo Chweeeett !!!

11:01 PM  
Blogger educatedunemployed did the happy dance and finally said..

Awesome photographs..Yeah that is the one thought that kept running through..Your mum looks gorgeous..

Here through Casa's blog.Hi..

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
Google