10 April, 2006

Putting the "A" in 'essAy Assignment' =D

Mahi's Guide to Enhancing Student-Tutor Relationships


- Talk to the tutor- And I don't mean 'answer', I mean 'TALK'. Ask him how his day went. Ask him where he got his eyesore of a tee shirt from. Stuff like that. I know for a fact that tutors appreciate this.

- Smile at the tutor if you see him/her outside of class. We're not in primary school anymore. We're all adults here (well...most of us!)..and a smile can brighten up anyones day, didn't you know?

- Speak up in class- Singaporeans reading this probably know what I'm talking about..the whole class keeps quiet, waiting for someone to bail them out whenever a question is posed.
Why? It's not a bloody interrogation!
I get so annoyed when everyone just clams up. Too scared to draw attention? Okay, no problem, let me bail you out. It just gives me an avenue to show how much more memorable, extroverted and funnier I am than you. "Oh Look. There goes the Ray-of-Sunshine answering all the bonus questions."
Well-Too-damn-bad-for-YOU.

- Answer INTELLIGENTLY- If you don't have a clue, DON'T answer and make an ass out of yourself. Major brownie points are lost this way. Sure, it starts off funny but it just ends in a mess (much like my love life =D)

- Flirt. It's quite funny and it brings in a surprising amount of ease in a tutor-student relationship but needless to say, dont cross the line and um...don't go all 'basic instinct' on him/her (coz I have a feeling thats probably illegal in quite a few places)
Here's an example -
Tall, rather cute girl walks upto her tutor after a lecture and asks if she can collect her graded essay back. Tutor says she can, but she could also just wait for the tutor to collect it for her and return it during class, thereby saving her the trouble of going herself. Girl says "Thanks!" and smiles. Tutor smiles, winks and says "There's a labour fee for that.."
Girl looks over shoulder, smiles and says "Okay, any drink from the canteen is on me."
See! Simple, fun and juuuuust a teeensy weensy bit of flirting. It's not even that obvious, but it's there!
And for GOD'S SAKE. DON'T keep prolonged eye contact and/or lick your lips lasciviously.
Coz thats like..SO tacky.
(In case anyone was wondering - This pseudo-flirting was done AFTER the paper was graded, and um..Tall, rather cute girl gets an "A". Hypothetically speaking, of course.)





Oh boy. I so flirted my way to an "A".
(Or I could have just got the grade through my own merit, but we all know how I like to make myself sound so wanted what a gorgeous, seductive being I am! :P)

Labels:

21 Comments:

Blogger twip did the happy dance and finally said..

flirted your way to an A eh?

Oh man....being feminist et al....*whispers*....I kinda flirted my way to an A, in my molecular biotechnology class, being tall and rather cute myself (the similarities I swear!), gosh you cant help that ya' know:P!....and ummm yea..you didnt hear any of this ok...:D

9:41 PM  
Blogger surbhi seth did the happy dance and finally said..

Mahi! Mahi! I can't say I know that side of you 'coz... A. The only men teachers in school were the gymnastics teachers... and B. We were too young to know anything about flirting! ;)
But if you graduate with commendable grades.. we're all gonna know how!! *tsk tsk tsk*
=P

12:14 AM  
Blogger Aditya Abburi did the happy dance and finally said..

trust me, doesnt always work with desi TA's!!!! i have TA'd (actually taught) two undergrad classes in the last 2 semesters and I have seen a lot of things!!

this one desi guy offered to buy me beer, which wasnt too bad but i dint fall to that one.....

and yeah, there was one desi girl (who was pretty cute I must say) who was extra sweet with me and went on to say she was a good cook and she could cook my favorite dish!!!

WTH!!!!! was i a TA or a prospective groom!!!

i never took the beers or any food from her but i still gave them both A's.... they were decent in the class so i being the mr.nice TA decided to give them A's (and yeah also because they were desis)!!!!!

1:51 AM  
Blogger Jay did the happy dance and finally said..

-hands Mahi trophy for Most Terrible Wordplay Title In The Whole Universe-

8:42 AM  
Blogger Madame Mahima did the happy dance and finally said..

megha - ok, look ..we CANNOT let our extremist bra-burning feminist sisters know about this post!
hehe the similarities are scary arent they?? except that.. well..your all into molecular biotechnology and super smart and all...and i spend time seeing how best to get an A without being caught flirting :(

surbhi - OYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEE i dont flirt with allll of them!!!! some are just bloody un-flirtable. bah! when that fails i usually have no choice BUT to study. BAH!

meghana- im not sometimes narcissistic hehe im always narcissistic! kidding! truth be told, i do work for my grades (or i try to at least) i just wasnt an expecting an A in this essay! but im glad nonetheless =)

aditya - woah! u gave em A's coz they were desi?!
aww are u sure? i mean they could have been just really good at their work..but yea universities usually try and remove biases by using just matriculation numbers on exam papers..i think its a good tactic, its pretty fair (unless for some reason your marker knows what your matric number is)

jay - aww man. YOU come up with a good title then. :@ actually dont. knowing you, you WILL come up with a better one.
bah!

demi - hahah now now i'm not "A" hungry but i do think it would look nice on my report card! =D

9:31 AM  
Blogger APOO did the happy dance and finally said..

Thought so....

No brains, all bust!

Hmph!

1:27 PM  
Blogger Aditya Abburi did the happy dance and finally said..

it was a class of 30 odd people, i made the exam paper, i graded it and i gave all my students grades... nobody could ask me any questions!

1:44 PM  
Blogger The Box did the happy dance and finally said..

I couldn't use a word of this.
Not a single word.
This all assumes one has some element of hotness or soemthing which, well.

I couldn't use a word of this.

1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous did the happy dance and finally said..

megha - ok, look ..we CANNOT let our extremist bra-burning feminist sisters know about this post!

I HEARD THAT!

*puts Mahi's name on the Black list for a scheduled 'pleasant' visit*

2:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous did the happy dance and finally said..

oh oh

*adds Megha's name to it as well* In the spirit of being fair-minded and all.

2:14 AM  
Blogger twip did the happy dance and finally said..

@ dee: man Im quaking in my boots now....

@ mahi: Mahiiii.....run for coverrrr!
:P

3:00 AM  
Blogger Madame Mahima did the happy dance and finally said..

apoo - kindly shut UP!!!!!!

aditya - usually pple try not to antagonize the tutor whos marking their papers :P its a good strategy!

box - oh as IF, you! anyone who reads your posts feels like lighting a post-coital cigarette..THATS hotness...up here *taps head*

dee - ACK!!

megha - quick! run! i know a good hiding place (that serves amazing "mai tai's")
=D

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous did the happy dance and finally said..

*Deepali prepares a bunch of old,boring lingerie ready for fire*

*then she rushes off for a crash course in feminist extremism*

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous did the happy dance and finally said..

I say, anyone in this comment box interested in helping me hold Mahi and Megha hostage until I brainwash them with what good femi-nazis do?

10:15 AM  
Blogger Webmiztris did the happy dance and finally said..

what if your tutor is female? lol

12:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous did the happy dance and finally said..

women! bah!

and webmiztris: if mahi's tutor was a lady ... apoo and me wud do the honors

6:45 PM  
Blogger 4wD did the happy dance and finally said..

Damn. I wish i'd read your blog when i was anywhere from class 1 to class 10. I would have flirted with Ms. Simois. I was dressed for it too, in my little white shorts, and my blue tie fluttering about in the breeze.

3:10 AM  
Blogger Miz BoheMia did the happy dance and finally said..

Sometimes the means justify the ends...

...tall... rub it in why dontcha! ;-P

Happy Easter... hope you get some time off!

7:06 PM  
Blogger Ar Ar Ar Arrrrr did the happy dance and finally said..

Now I get it...why I was not able to score good grades in ma engg....man, I was so poor in flirting :(

Thanks for the tips...hope I put into practice before my appraisal ;)

Greetz!!

11:53 AM  
Blogger twip did the happy dance and finally said..

yo!
you hibernating or what?

3:18 AM  
Blogger Madame Mahima did the happy dance and finally said..

dawn - i say still flirt away :P

abhi - whaaat?? what are you bah-ing for ?!

4wd - LOL i bet those shorts set off your gorgeous, sexy hairy legs extremely well...Ms Simois probably harboured a crush on you...we're such suckers for tiny shorts! =D

miz b- no such thing as time off when the exams are looming up :(

arz00n- better late than never my friend ;) u always learn something new eh? :P

megha - i'm here, SIR! wide awake, SIR!

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
Google