25 December, 2006

Meeerrrryy Christmas! 'Ho Ho Ho' and 'Balle Balle'

Merry Christmas all!
Hope you're having a lovely, fun-filled, present-filled and love-filled Christmas! (And if you're not, then cheer up and have some Christmas Pudding..'tis the season to indulge baby.)

Anyway, my Christmas eve was nice enough... I went out for a Bhangra Night
(For those of you who have no idea what it is, a whole bunch of remixed bhangra and bollywood tracks are played at a club..so where you'd normally have pop, hip-hop, R&B playing- you'd now have remixed hindi/punjabi music playing..it TOTALLY burns off those calories man, its such a workout)
SO yea I spent Christmas eve dancing away to Punjabi music...you totally saw that one coming right :P
Ho Ho Ho!

I didn't really want to go when some of my friends gently suggested that perhaps I'm becoming a bit of a recluse. The last time I had been out properly, to drink and dance was a good 10 months back.
Yup. A Recluse I had become.

The Crowd was slightly different than I remember. Less rowdy, better smelling, a good mix of old and young instead of the usual barely-legal-ers trying to act all gwowned up and spending the better part of their night puking their guts out by the sidewalk.
The music had improved too. None of that 'I-can't-dance-to-this-crap' kinda music. You know? The sort thats from some flop movie/album that no one saw/heard.

Last year, I had gone for a bhangra night and in the midst of the dancing I turned to my right and saw a guy dancing a few metres away. The intoxicating song coupled with the strobing lights made for quite a heady scene. And then our eyes met and we smiled.
It wasn't a naughty sort of thing..
You know how sometimes 2 complete strangers can share something in a brief few seconds, without uttering a word? (No, I'm not talking STD's) It was some sort of acknowledgement? I don't know.
I saw him last night again, after almost a year. He didn't have that playful twinkle in his eye, the one that made me smile. He looked older, more matured, but a lot less happy.
We passed by each other as I entered and he left. We looked each other in the eye, saw a brief hint of recognition and then we went our seperate ways.
C'est la vie. I love such encounters.

It seems that in a matter of moments, time sped up from being 1 am to 4 am...uh-oh way past my curfew. Mom called to voice her grievances (that's putting it mildly). I got into a cab with Roohi and Nirav and I said "Oh shit. I'm screwed. Where did the time go? My parents are hopping mad. Goddamit. I'm going to be 23. You'd think they'd ease up by now."
The cabbie chuckled and said "Ahh such things happen..you're young and parents will always worry..my own mother still calls and asks me when I'm coming home. She does this everytime I work overtime."
I sighed "Parents."
All of us kept quiet..and then he said "You should appreciate it though. They're showing you how much they care..when they're not around, you'll miss it.."
Silence..
"Ah crap. Now I can't be angry at them for being angry with me."
Seriously. I felt so robbed of my right to be indignantly annoyed.

When I reached my house, the cabbie suggested that I act drunk and lost track of time.
"Are you nuts? My parents think when I go clubbing I have the standard free drink that comes with the ticket, and even that they're not too happy about, and you want me to act drunk?!"
Cue a few more suggestions.
"Uncle. Why don't you just come to my house and explain the situation?"
All said tongue-in-cheek of course.
The cabbie giggled like a little school boy. Bless his heart.

So yes..I stealthily entered the house at 5 am (fucking windchimes..such a bloody nuisance.) Thankfully the parents decided to cut me some slack and they remained pretendedly asleep in their room.

My feet hurt, I feel slightly hungover, my hair smells of smoke and my mom is still slightly miffed at me.


But it was all worth it because for a few hours I danced like a maniac... and loved every minute of it
:)

Be good guys.
Have fun but don't drink and drive.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous did the happy dance and finally said..

i agree why drink and drive when u can dope and fly

6:22 PM  
Blogger Strider did the happy dance and finally said..

Merry christmas!!!

9:02 PM  
Blogger jedimerc did the happy dance and finally said..

Glad you had a great time, and I do know how it goes when you meet someone in a brief few seconds and just know... something at least :)

It's the sort of thing that creates inspiration sometimes.

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous did the happy dance and finally said..

WHAT! YOU WENT TO THAT BHANGRA NIGHT! I HAD NOONE TO GO WITH!
CURSE YOU
DAMN YOU
BYAAHHHHH

But seriously... you shudda told me
:(

2:42 PM  
Blogger 4wD did the happy dance and finally said..

ah the cabbies of singapre... always good to talk politics.

your friend... maybe he got married?

4:21 PM  
Blogger Dan did the happy dance and finally said..

Glad you had a nice Christmas, Mahima! Thanks for being a blogger buddy of mine in 2006! Love, Dan

9:25 PM  
Blogger Madame Mahima did the happy dance and finally said..

abhi - ...............................
right :P

strider - merry x mas to u too!

jedimerc - its a lovely experience isnt it? i feel a bit changed everytime it happens

jups - OH DEAR. u wanted to go too?? aiyee we need to start coordinating this sorta thing man.

ninja - u said it...they love talking about anything at all, period.
oh no i dont think the stranger got married..he looked too young for that!

dan - hey u! i hope your x mas went well! im glad i stumbled upon your blog :) all the best for the new year!

1:45 PM  
Blogger Miz BoheMia did the happy dance and finally said..

Oooh! That sounds like so much fun! If the music is crazy so the dancing can be manic, count me in! And then the bohemian sighs as she remembers she is in Spain, a world away, A WORLD I SAY!

Oh well! Live it up for me then will ya? ;-P

Besos sweet amiga!

3:00 PM  
Blogger Abhinav Sharma did the happy dance and finally said..

hmm that was nice! i hope u enjoyed it...
u mentioned that chance encounters of two strangers thingie. this has happened so many times with me, more often with people i am acquainted with. and they don't even recognize me.
more often it happens when the person on the other side is a massively hot babe!
happy new year

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
Google